Building of the week—Wisconsin Central, LTD Depot
Key Project Information
Address: 120 East Broadway, Waukesha WI
Year Built: 1887
Architectural Style: Vernacular
Historical Use: Railroad passenger depot
As the third and last railroad to enter Waukesha, this station originally served the Wisconsin Central Railroad and later the Soo Line.
The Depot consists of three entities: a central rectangular office and waiting room block, and two outlying square blocks used for storage. These three elements were originally joined under a low roof supported by wooden frame posts. The building has been remodeled, and this low platform roof was removed so the buildings now appear as three separate elements. In its current state, the highlight of this building is the hand crafted stone vernacular walls.