Restoration and Renovation Underway at Carroll University’s Rankin Hall of Science!
The Rankin Hall of Science was built in 1906 and is one of the four historic landmarks on the Carroll University campus. The building was named for Walter Rankin, Carroll’s president from 1866-1871 and 1893-1903. The style of the building is considered vernacular.
Rankin Hall was put on the National Register for Historic Buildings in 1983 and the Wisconsin State Register for Historic Buildings in 1989, and is also considered a contributing structure in the College Avenue Historic District. It became the City of Waukesha’s local landmark number 30 in 1993.
The project, which is currently underway, will result in a complete renovation of all four floors of the Rankin Hall building. The newly renovated building will consist of faculty offices, student study areas, medium and small classrooms as well as an environmental science lab. Restoration of historic elements will take place both inside and outside of the building.
On the exterior, the existing wood double-hung windows will be restored and protected. The existing asphalt shingle roof will be removed and replaced with a clay tile roof, which will resemble Rankin’s original roof. The exterior masonry will be cleaned, and the mortar will be repaired as necessary.
Allume Architects is excited to have assisted BWBR Architects and Carroll University with the Historical Tax Credit application for Rankin Hall through the Wisconsin Historical Society.